Location: New York, New York
If you are a current Barnard College employee, please use the internal career site to apply for this position.
Custodian (Friday - Sunday, 4pm - 12:30am, RDO: Mon - Thur)
Under the direct supervision of the Facilities Services Custodial Shift Supervisor (or supervision of a Manager in a higher classification), the Custodian shall be responsible for the performance of custodial cleaning duties and operations in the College's academic buildings, residence halls and grounds in accordance with established cleaning standards, work detail(s) and instructions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Clean restrooms including floors, walls, tiles, ceiling, doors, vents, fixtures, mirrors, etc. Replenish restroom supplies.
- Dispose of trash.
- Collect, transport and dispose of all trash and recyclables from assigned rooms, offices and common areas.
- Clean and maintain (dust, vacuum, sweep, wet mop, wax, polish) walls, floors, doors, frames and glass surfaces in student rooms and lounges, kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, stairways, lounges, classrooms, labs, library, dining areas, storage areas, entrances, and offices (as per specified work detail).
- Certain areas in some buildings may require special procedures which will be outlined by the immediate supervisor.
- Maintain floors and carpets in all areas on a regular basis including sweeping, mopping, stripping and waxing.
- Move and transport custodial supplies, furniture, equipment, materials, boxes, machine parts, etc. as directed.
- Move (both inside a space and within building) and arrange furniture, equipment and supplies as required for events.
- Perform necessary cleaning and set up of residential halls rooms and suites during the academic year and in preparation for summer months to insure that residence hall rooms are ready when occupants arrive and leave.
- Coordinate work between arriving groups so that all rooms will be cleaned and ready for fall students.
- During snow events, shovel snow to clear and clean walk ways, paths, sidewalks, building entrances and steps.
- Apply snow melt to same areas as directed.
- Comply with the rules, regulations and policies of the College, the policies and procedures of Facilities Services, and all city, state and federal safety regulations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Skills, Qualifications & Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires general knowledge of cleaning terms and safety procedures related to handling of cleaning chemicals, supplies and equipment.
- Should be well organized and able to prioritize work.
- Must be able to remain calm during stressful conditions (Events, Commencement, Opening, Closing, etc.)
- Facilities Services Custodians work in private offices of administrators and faculty and student residences and therefore must be able to respect privacy and confidentiality of occupants.
- Custodian during their shift may interact directly with other Facilities Services staff and College members including Trades, HVAC, other Custodians, Public Safety Officers and faculty members.
- A pleasant relationship that is supportive of the Facilities Services mission is essential.
- Experience in use of mechanical cleaning equipment is required.
- Experience in cleaning or custodian work is helpful but may not always be required.
- Experience operating in a professional and proficient manner various equipment and tools including, but not limited to: floor stripper and polisher; carpet extractor; water vacuum; vacuum cleaner; cleaning solutions and chemicals.
- Most work is performed inside; some work on campus or building exterior may be require as well as traveling to various locations, both on and off campus.
- Ability to read and write English and follow oral and written instructions.
- Able to bend, stoop, push, pull, lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs.; requires average physical strength.
- Ability to climb stairs.
Salary Range: $18.89/hr - $18.89/hr
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, specialty, and training. The above hiring range represents the College's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.