Location: Rockville, Maryland
Montgomery College has job opportunities for full-time Building Services Workers in the Facilities Operations Department. These are bargaining, non-exempt, grade 11 positions. For non-exempt positions, you are not eligible to work a secondary job at Montgomery College. Montgomery College promotes and creates a working and learning environment rooted in the basic tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness.
These positions are considered Essential Personnel.
The Building Service Workers perform housekeeping duties in accordance with established team and zone cleaning standards and instructions to ensure a clean and sanitary environment for the College community. Provide support for all campus activities such as meetings, celebrations, student activities, athletic events and commencement. Basic responsibilities include housekeeping services, office moves/relocations, and operation and preventive maintenance of heavy industrial cleaning equipment.
Contacts and interactions vary and may involve multiple constituencies such as colleagues, supervisors, managers, and directors concerning the operation, maintenance and use of the College community as well interaction with students, vendors, and the public, providing information, service and assistance.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform housekeeping, maintenance, and other duties such as floor care (dust, mop, strip, scrub, wax, burnish and seals non-carpeted floors), cleaning offices, classrooms, buildings, and other designated areas.
- Clean equipment such as radiators, grills, intake and exhaust vents, light fixtures, handrails, mirrors, floor drains, registers, vents, floor, and stall partitions.
- Polish metal and other fixtures.
- Clean restrooms and replenish soap and paper goods.
- Monitor assigned areas throughout the day to maintain cleanliness.
- Empty and transport trash and waste to disposal area.
- Remove bulk trash and recyclable items from the buildings to proper containers and replace trash receptacle liners.
- Move furniture, supplies, and equipment pertinent to office and personnel relocations on and between campuses.
- Assist with snow removal.
- Identify and report items in need of repair.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or GED, and/or any combination of education, training and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- One year cleaning experience with working knowledge of floor maintenance (stripping, waxing and buffing floors).
- Experience operating a variety of industrial cleaning and other types of equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of standard methods, procedures, techniques, tools, equipment and materials common to building custodial work.
- Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to use the tools, equipment, and materials of the trade.
- Ability to perform light to heavy duty building custodial work and move and/or lift heavy or large items.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others, communicate effectively (verbally and in writing), and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Three or more years of cleaning experience with working knowledge of floor maintenance (stripping, waxing and buffing floors).
Salary Range: $15.44 to $19.30 per hour. Initial salary placement is based on candidate experience and internal equity.
- Click Here to apply online
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable).
For international degrees, you must provide US degree equivalency verified by a nationally recognized credential evaluation service.
Participation in a retirement plan. If you are retired from the Maryland State System, you may not enroll in either the pension, or optional retirement plan, per state law.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Open Until Filled