The director of strategic communications will drive proactive communication campaigns and issue management strategies to protect our company’s reputation and achieve business outcomes.
Norfolk Southern moves the goods and materials that drive the U.S. economy, connecting customers to markets and communities to economic opportunity. As one of the nation’s oldest and largest freight transportation companies, Norfolk Southern has a rich history and a bold vision for the future. We’re moving our corporate headquarters to a state-of-the-art building in Atlanta’s Tech Square neighborhood and expanding our communications team to put greater focus on telling our story. We’re looking for experienced strategists and change agents to drive a transformation of the communication function as we begin an exciting new chapter for our company. We offer competitive benefits, professional development opportunities, a supportive work environment and more.
- Design and implement external communication strategies that support business initiatives such as precision-scheduled railroading, digital transformation, sustainability, corporate responsibility, and others.
- Develop employee communication programs that build business acumen and engage employees with how their work supports the company’s strategic plan and major business initiatives.
- Anticipate and develop communication strategies to manage issues that could create reputational or business risks for the company. Develop, drill and execute crisis communication plans.
- Partner with Marketing to develop best-in-class communication programs that drive customer preference and support the company’s growth strategy.
- Partner with Investor Relations to communicate the company’s value proposition through financial media, earnings announcements, annual reports, and other shareholder initiatives.
- Develop communication programs that strengthen employee engagement, promote a strong safety culture, and support diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Partner with Government Relations to develop advocacy strategies that educate stakeholders on company business initiatives and policy positions.
- Participate actively as a member of the communications leadership team, creating an inclusive, collaborative culture that values professional development and attracts and retains great people.
- Serve as media spokesperson as required.
Undergraduate degree or higher in communications, public relations, journalism, mass communication, or related area.
Minimum of 10 years communication experience in a corporate or agency setting.
Experience managing agencies and staff.
Expertise among many communication disciplines, including media relations, digital media, employee communication, executive communications, marketing communication, issue management and crisis communication.
Demonstrates a high degree of interpersonal and organizational savvy; builds networks and collaborates effectively to influence outcomes and achieve results; comfortable counseling senior executives.
Possesses exceptional oral and written communication skills, and a deep understanding of how to create compelling content through a wide range of mediums.
Exhibits a high comfort level driving action in ambiguous or evolving situations; processes new information quickly and adjusts strategies accordingly; displays situational adaptability.
Drives results with a bias for action and a strong sense of personal and team accountability; optimizes work processes to enable the department to work effectively and efficiently.
Provides consistent coaching and performance feedback; creates continuous career development opportunities for direct reports; builds effective teams.
Possesses excellent professional maturity, sound judgement, good analytical skills and the ability to make quality decisions to protect the company’s reputation when necessary.
Displays a solid understanding of the use of communication research, measurement and data analytics in the development of communication strategies.
Possesses the journalistic instincts and creative ability to identify and tell compelling stories that move the business forward.
Proven ability to collaborate effectively with senior company leaders and business peers.
Demonstrates deep experience in issue management and crisis communications.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Norfolk Southern Corporation
New Headquarters – Atlanta, GA
Norfolk Southern is in the process of constructing a vibrant & modern corporate HQ in Midtown Atlanta, GA. Our HQ is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2021. To check out a sneak peek, we’ve linked a playlist below.
Norfolk Southern is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, status as a covered veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected status not related to a person’s ability to do a job. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the EEO Helpline at (888) TALKEEO or (888) 825-5336 or email email@example.com.
It is the policy of Norfolk Southern Corporation ("Norfolk Southern") to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and executive orders concerning equal opportunity and nondiscrimination, including but not limited to during the hiring process, and to offer employment, training, remuneration, advancement, and all other privileges of employment on the basis of qualification and performance regar...dless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, status as a covered veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity, the presence of a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.
Employees and applicants shall not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats, coercion, discrimination, or retaliation in any form because they have engaged in or may engage in: filing a complaint (including a complaint of discrimination related to hiring); opposing an unlawful practice (including opposing any hiring practice they consider to be unlawfully discriminatory); assisting, testifying, or participating in an investigation, compliance review, proceeding or hearing related to federal, state, or local laws requiring equal opportunity (including with respect to alleged discrimination in hiring); or inquiring about or discussing pay.
Employees and applicants must report any complaint or concern about employment discrimination, harassment, or retaliation to their immediate supervisor (in the case of employees) or to Norfolk Southern's EEO office via telephone at 1 - 888 - TALKEEO (825-5336) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Norfolk Southern will accept any and all good faith complaints made by employees or job applicants to their immediate supervisor (in the case of employees) or to Norfolk Southern's EEO office.