Senior Researcher 5 position available in the French lab at The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota
The French lab is excited to move to its new home at The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota and are looking to recruit a highly motivated researcher to join our multi-disciplinary team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in biochemistry, structural biology and enzymology of metabolic proteins. Experience with the protein expression/purification, Cryo-EM, X-ray crystallography, and the biophysical characterization of proteins is particularly desired. The lab has a number of NIH- and NSF-funded basic and translational research projects including the characterization of higher order structures of proteins involved in nucleotide metabolism, the identification of novel nucleobase transport proteins, the discovery and development of immunomodulatory inhibitors as drug leads, and mechanistic studies of signal transduction in photoactive proteins. The selected candidate would be expected to be an intellectual leader in one project area as well as contribute to other research in the lab. For more information about projects and recent publications, please see the lab webpage at: https://sbufrenchlab.wordpress.com/. This position provides an excellent learning opportunity and access to state of the art resources and facilities, including top-of-the-line instruments for structural biology, cell biology, microscopy and the biophysical characterization of proteins.
As a senior member of our group, the candidate would be expected to be a leader, both intellectually and in the lab. The candidate would be expected to work on multiple aspects of one or more projects at any one time. This will include, but is not limited to, experimental design, implementation and data collection as well as the analysis and dissemination of research data. The individual would be expected to work independently but also to frequently collaborate with other lab members as well as scientists at other institutions. As an integral part of our research team, the candidate would be expected to help us to maintain a safe and professional work environment at all times, and to actively participate in regular group meetings.
75% Within the predetermined research scope and methodology, design and conduct experiments, collect and analyze data, and disseminate results in accordance with the research goals of the lab
10% Assist with training other lab members in specialized techniques and with the development and implementation of experiments
5% Lab maintenance and organization, including equipment maintenance and general lab cleanup
10% Other duties as assigned including, but not limited to, assisting the PI with research-related or administrative tasks and attending and presenting at scientific conferences
• Master's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field with 1 or more years of training.
• PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field.
• Strong background and training in biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry or a related field.
• Training and extensive experience working with the purification and characterization of proteins, using bacterial, yeast, insect and mammalian expression systems is preferred.
• Experience with structural biology, enzyme assays, and the biophysical characterization of biomolecules is also preferred.
• Experience with membrane proteins and drug discovery/development would be assets.
• Strong organization skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Previous mentoring and leadership experience is highly preferred.
• The candidate must be able to effectively manage research projects with little oversight from the PI, and assist the PI with oversight of the lab’s research endeavors.
• We are particularly interested in a candidate that is enthusiastic, self-motivated, keen to learn, and able to thrive in a highly collaborative and multi-disciplinary research environment.
Internal Number: 333694
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.