Pay Range: $14.28 - $18.90 per hour depending on experience and education
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: Working within a team environment and under the general direction of the RSSW Supervisor, the incumbent of this position performs skilled duties in support of departmental goals involving the management and operation of the recycling, surplus and solid waste programs at the University. The work includes: loading, unloading, picking-up and delivering surplus, recyclable and solid waste items; handling, sorting, categorizing and disposing of these materials; tracking all property being handled from receipt to final disposition; entering data and managing electronic information using various computer software programs; developing new outlets for disbursement of surplus or recyclable property; operating trucks, forklifts, scales and a variety of other moving and handling equipment; providing support and assistance to departmental programs; and contributing to the team effort. This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or University closure.
Due to the duties of this position, successful candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in the areas of recycling/solid waste or related fields. These should include capabilities in handling, sorting, storing or receiving materials; and setting priorities and organizing daily work responsibilities.
- Minimum 1 year experience with using computers and software.
- Must be willing to work weekends and nights for events, on-call or emergency services; have the ability to be contacted by phone; and have reliable transportation for reporting to the job site.
- Must possess: a valid motor vehicle operators license and be able to meet policy requirements for driving University vehicles.
- Describe your skills and proficiency in the operation and maintenance of vehicles or other material handling and mechanical equipment such as flatbed trucks, box vans, stake bed trucks and pallet jacks; scale operation experience; experience to competently pickup, handle, store, and/or receive a wide variety of materials and equipment in a safe and efficient manner; and be able to organize and prioritize daily work tasks and responsibilities adeptly.
-Demonstrate good verbal and written skills and be proficient in math, reading, and problem solving.
- 1 year of combined/demonstrated experience in record keeping methods; and of safety procedures for loading, unloading and stacking materials. (Must list)
- Education: 1 to 2 years of post-secondary education related to the solid waste and recycling industries, with emphasis on current regulations, rules, and practices; knowledge and/or training concerning state and federal property disposal guidelines; knowledge/education concerning the safe handling and shipping of hazardous materials.
- Experience: 2-5 years of warehousing or production experience in a recycling, collection center or warehouse environment; 1-2 year shipping experience dealing with DOT regulations.
- Specific Qualifications: skill, experience, and/or certification in forklift operations; experience in safely handling hazardous materials and/or certification involving hazardous materials safety training.
Knowledge of basic computer operations; data entry, basic time card entry, word processing, email usage and internet searches.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: - Ability to lift and carry or otherwise move up to 50 pounds in a routine, repetitive manner as needed.- Ability to bend, stoop, crawl, twist, dig, climb, and walk on a routine basis throughout the work day.- Ability to work routinely on uneven and slick surfaces.- Must be willing to be contacted outside of normal business hours for an event, on-call or emergency work.- Ability to push/pull or otherwise move loaded wheeled carts, containers or tow units by hand over hard surfaces in inclement weather, some of which can weigh up to 1000 pounds.- 60% Year Round- Inside In heated and unheated spaces performing daily required tasks and duties.- 40% Year Round- Outside- in inclement weather conditions.- Be willing to work weekends and nights for events, on-call or emergency services.- During seasonal snow removal, extended work shifts and additional night shifts may be required.
Posting Number: SP002336P
Posting Date: 10/02/2019
Closing Date: 10/20/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.