“La Casa Norte’s mission is to serve youth and families confronting homelessness. We provide access to stable housing and deliver comprehensive services that act as a catalyst to transform lives and communities.” La Casa Norte’s mission and philosophy of service is to impact the social issues of homelessness at the individual and community levels.
Casa Corazón is aimed at transforming the lives of homeless and at-risk youth, ages 16-24, by providing them with the stability, support, and guidance they need in order to become thriving members of society. Program participants will receive street outreach and access to a variety of services including a drop in center with youth programming and meals, basic needs such as transportation and toiletries, and case management services focusing on a holistic, strength-based approach, with a focus on housing stability and educational, job readiness and placement.
This is a part-time position. Candidates must have some availability. The candidate will be required to perform overnight daytime and weekend overnight position and work hours at our north side and south side youth program locations.
Expected Goals and Objectives
Goal One: To provide comprehensive advocacy and drop-in and supportive housing services to homeless youth ages 16-24
- Maintain professional relationships with all staff and clients
- Support coverage and coordinate activities as necessary during drop in hours.
- Conduct outreach on the west side to: schools, churches, other community service providers and locations that homeless youth congregate both formally and informally.
- Providing life skills training, counseling, support, and guidance to youth as they work to overcome barriers to housing, employment and education.
- Take advantage of key “teachable moments” to help youth develop skills in decision-making, conflict resolution, time management, etc.
- Provide crisis intervention services to Casa Corazon youth as necessary
- Accurately tracking and documenting all services provided utilizing internal database.
- Plan a monthly schedule for events, activities, and food menu.Deliver twice weekly psychoeducational programming to youth during drop-in hours.
- Collaborate with other internal programs to provide assistance to youth
Goal Two: Provide outreach services to homeless youth ages 16-24
- Conduct targeted and organized outreach to youth serving entities such as schools, park districts, community based organizations, and law enforcement agencies in order to recruit youth who could benefit from our services.
- Conduct street outreach to locations where youth experiencing homelessness congregate both formally and informally.
- Deliver presentations about the services of Casa Corazon to both small and large groups of people in an engaging and informative manner.
- Maintain an organized outcomes based accounting of outreach efforts and contacts with homeless youth and necessary followup.
Goal Three: To work in a team approach to maintain a positive and safe milieu at Casa Corazon
- Observes environment to ensure safety of youth and staff by responding to emergencies, building repairs, safety hazards, crisis and incidents.
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for staff and Youth through shared responsibilities of cleaning.
- Maintain on-going dialogue with staff around areas of youth successes and challenges.
- Follow up with any incident in a timely manner utilizing a strength base approach.
Goal Four: Administrative Responsibilities
- Will maintain organization and inventory of all toiletries, food, bus cards and other essential items.
- Teach and implement the declaration of non-violence at Casa Corazon.
- Intermittently gather and complete data entry for various grant reports and development purposes.
- Work in conjunction with Program Manager and Drop in Coordinator to meet program outcomes.