| |The Transportation and Parking department in the Division of Facilities and Services is seeking applications for a part-time ADA Van Driver. This position is responsible for transporting mobility-impaired students by providing necessary care and assistance, maintaining records/trip sheets, and operating specially equipped vehicles for handicapped persons.
In order to be successful, the ideal candidate will:
- Use a specially equipped mini bus, travel to designated locations by designated time to pick up mobility-impaired persons with similar passengers aboard.
- Assist mobility-impaired persons with various adaptive devices (I.E., portable oxygen systems), rider transfer from motorized scooter or wheel chair to a passenger seat, and secure motorized equipment for a safe transport of rider and equipment.
- Adhere to the WVU, state and federal mobility impaired transportation regulations, protocols and procedures such as: select an appropriate parking site to level van and hydraulic lift as much as possible, and secure the van safely (parking gear, emergency brakes, etc.); leave the vehicle in order to load the mobility-impaired person and operate the lift equipment and controls; carefully place mobility-impaired person on specially equipped hydraulic lift then operate control to raise/lower lift while guiding the person on to or off the vehicle, and position mobility-impaired person appropriately and precisely into position on the vehicle.
- Communicate daily with scheduler of on-going operations and serve as a scheduler as needed.
- Provide transportation and traffic control assistance at various special events for safe, orderly and efficient pedestrian and traffic flow.
- Inspect assigned bus, and ensure safe and clean operating conditions.
- Enforce parking regulations in an assigned area through dissemination of information and issuing citations.
- Provide excellent customer service and display empathy with customers, even under the most trying of emotional conditions.
- Provide information to visitors, staff, faculty and students concerning parking rules and regulations and safety and security practices.
- Complete required maintenance in parking areas, including operating self-propelled pressurized line painting machine, washing down parking structures, sweeps and cleans, makes minor repairs, as needed.
- File complaints and appear in county magistrate court and provide sworn testimony regarding parking enforcement and witnessed criminal activities.
- Other duties as assigned
Pay Grade: 10
- High school diplomas or GED
- At least one year of experience driving vehicles weighing 10,000 lbs or greater but less than 26,000 lbs. Also, cash handling, computer operations, and customer service experience
- Background check
- Must obtain a Class D Chauffeur's License valid in West Virginia within 30 days of hire
- Emergency first-aid and CPR certification required within 6 months of hire
- Certification in wheelchair passenger assistance equipment required within 6 months of hire.
- Must have Hipaa certification/required within 6 months of hire
- Ability to acquire knowledge of safety polices of local, state and federal law
- Moderate physical effort involving long periods of standing, bending, lifting, pushing, handling, seeing, hearing, kneeling, climbing, listening, stooping, grasping, seeing, speaking, etc, and moving items up to 50 lbs as needed
- Visual concentration/mental concentration daily
- Long periods of sitting with stress of concentration on traffic/signs/time factors daily
- Physical coordination to drive bus in congested/confined spaces daily
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: May 1, 2017
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No